Sunday, April 11, 2010

Oh Rauschenberg, You Elusive Beast

Visiting the Menil Collection always brings back good memories. Houston in the Summertime. Wandering the surrounding neighborhoods back when I didn't recognize the street names... Good times.

UNLESS THEY TAKE AWAY YOUR FAVORITE PIECE OF ART.

Which leads me to this post's

Bad News:
That big Rauschenberg from the back room has been replaced. (I know, I know, it's really embarrassing that I don't even know the name of my favorite. All I remember was that it was hard to remember and I to write it down somewhere after every visit. Yea, a lot of good that did). Honestly I'm a lot more torn up about this than I thought I would be, and I blame this on the fact that I CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE ONLINE. Seriously, anywhere. (It'd probably help a bit if I knew the name but that's not the point). I've been looking through artcyclopedia archives for about an hour, which in internet time is like fucking YEARS. Zipped through the first three stages of grief like nobody's business, getting hopelessly stuck on the fourth which I assume will stick around until I either FIND THE GODDAMNED PIECE or realize I've wasted an entire afternoon pining instead of writing up that Research Methods paper. I should go do that at some point.

Good news:
My desperate searching hasn't necessarily been in vain. Apparently by browsing through every. single. art. archive. ever. you turn up some pretty obscure works (whodathunk) So I present to you: Rauschenberg on Dante's Inferno.
Specifically, this one is Canto VIII: Walking around in the fifth circle of hell and Virgil getting denied entry into Lower Hell (a-thank you, Sparknotes). There's an entire gallery if 12th-century-literature-you-read-in-high-school-but-don't-remember-too-well is your thing.

Also, I found that there are a lot of places nearby-ish that have Rauschenberg pieces on permanent exhibition. Fieldtrip, friends?
Downtown Houston MFAH, R-berg count: 3
Obviously, Menil Collection, R-berg count: LESS THAN IT SHOULD BE.
The Modern in Fort Worth, R-berg count: 2

And last but not least, Save the Date!
Sunday, June 6, 2010, 3:00 p.m local artist Nathaniel Donnett will be speaking on Robert Rauschenberg in The Menil.

: : : : : More Menil Programs

:::::EDIT:::::
I have the best friends in the universe! Charlotte found it!! The piece is called "Holiday Ruse (Nightshade)" and the only picture I can find of it is on this artblog. (Which does a great job of describing the museums and neighborhood in the area, by the way)

Now I just need it back.
plz k thx

5 thoughts:

Unknown said...

what did it look like again? i THINK i know which one you are talking about.

tort said...

It was mostly black, horizontal and long. I wish I could say what the layers were, but I've been looking through so much of his work lately I don't trust my immediate memory anymore me. But I do know that I'd recognize it if I see it.

I emailed the Menil Collection with my troubles so hopefully they can help :P

dayna said...

I think it was a silkscreen one, with flag images and I don't remember what else. i thought they had put away my favorite painting (night blooming - rauschenberg) and almost started crying, but then I just figured out they moved it. The rauschenberg's are part of their permanent collection, so you could actually ask them what it was called, and when it will be back. :)

augusta said...

my favorite painting from the menil is in storage too. i was very sad but talked to a nice lady there about it.

we need to figure out a way to break in to their storage space.

tort said...

DEAL!