Friday, March 18, 2011

Houston, you're perfect please don't change a thing.



It's nothing personal. I still love you and I always will. (how? let me count the ways! without rhyming!) Your skyline. Your cumulus clouds. Your summer that lasts from early March until November. Your ridiculous spaghetti webs of highways. The fact you can drive 45 minutes away (at 60mph) from downtown and still be within city limits. You know what? I don't even care your traffic runs from 7am to 7pm - driving around at 3am is where it's at. Down Allen Parkway. Or through Montrose. Or in The Heights. Also your Rice University rocks for bajillions of reasons but ultimately: 2 pubs and a 24 hour library? BAM. Your exhaustive list of restaurants that are open awesomely late. Your young yet impressive music festival and your burgeoning concert scene.Your obscenely cheap housing market and remarkable standard of living. Your resistance to the plague of unemployment. Did I mention the weather? Because yea, the weather fucking rocks. Also you pretty much house all of my extended family and friends, so that's a plus.
Despite all of this, it's time for me to move on and go be my own person in different city for awhile. But seriously, no hard feelings. I will defend your clogged highways, dense humidity, and blood-boiling summers til the very end. 'Cause it's worth it.

Lastly, anyone who's ever driven down Allen Parkway at night knows it's imbued with mystical powers. Today's playlist is brought to you by songs that I like to skip ahead to whenever I find myself on it: they are guaranteed to make you feel invincible if played in tune to the road's epic curves (trust me, this is based on extensive mixed cd testing. Results may vary on other streets).


Supermoves - Overseer
Mausam and Escape - A.R. Rahman
Phantom Pt II (Boys Noize Remix) - Justice
Power - Kanye West
Rock is Dead - Marilyn Manson
E Pro - Beck
Born Free - MIA
Clint Eastwood - Gorillaz
Come Down on Me - Lemon Jelly
Fuckin' in the bushes - Oasis
Halfway Home - TV on the Radio
Rhinestone Eyes - Gorillaz
Ledmonton - Clues
Party Hard - Andrew W.K
Wake Up - Rage Against The Machine
The Parachute Ending - Birdy Nam Nam

and with that, Grooveshark wins the funnest-way-to-make playlists award. *pours one out for Seeqpod* yea, I used the word funnest.
image cred: me! being a creeper on the mandell bridge over 59.

6 thoughts:

Rod said...

I'm gonna do the parkway with that playlist next time I'm sober at night. awesome.

Anonymous said...

Digging the playlist. For what city are you abandoning ship?

tort said...

@Rod yes!! if you feel like driving for awhile go Allen Parkway to Memorial to 45 and and loop de loop back around on 59 to 610. depending on how much gas you have. :P

@Jacob San Francisco!

Unknown said...

i agree with all of this. It made me miss Houston and I'm not even the one moving.

Definitely agree with you on the traffic thing. Rush hour? Who cares, I only drive at night son.

Anonymous said...

Nice! I'm sure it'll be amazing.

fritopi said...

Even though I'm falling in love with Chicago, I'm always going to miss Houston. I always find it odd when people say they hate H-Town. Aside from the heat/humidity, what's there to hate?

And the gallbladder thing happened suddenly. It was weird. I was eating a kolache in Houston sometime in early January and then an hour later, I had this weird pain in my stomach. Then it happened again a month later on my birthday when I had half a large sausage and mushroom pizza and a six-pack of Shiner. A week after that, it started happening after every meal. None of the doctors could tell me WHY it happened, just that removing the gallbladder cures it. It is a mystery.